My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 7 April 2011

Birthday Card

Today's challenge was organising a birthday card for my brother. Mum had remembered that he has a birthday soon which is good, but when I came back with a card saying 'Happy Birthday Son' she looked at it for ages and read the verse before finally asking me what it was for. After I told her she got a pencil and started writing on the front of the card... when I suggested inside might be more appropriate she said that she'd never written one before! She did write something but it is evident that she cannot spell or even form proper words or letters any longer. It was quite shocking to see actually. But does explain why Dad continued to write cards, lists etc. even when he was 95% blind - and that very fact quite possibly contributed to this too.

One huge result for me today. I bought her a fleece-type jacket this morning which she has worn all day and has meant that the heating has been at a sensible level rather than at meltdown. Such a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment