My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 10 April 2011

A stroke of genius

I have to say, bringing Lily, my ten year old Cairn Terrier, has been a bit of a stroke of genius, it gives Ma a focus away from interminable ITV (kill me now).

Of course Lily gets quite a pay off from this too.... endless loafing in front of Jeremy Kyle and Midsomer and sneaky crisps when I'm not looking. Unfortunately Ma keeps forgetting that chocolate is poisonous for dogs so I do have to be quite vigilant. A Cairn isn't very big and whereas Obi could probably absorb a bit of chocolate biscuit, she very definitely can't.
.
                                                                      ~

I am also eternally grateful to my cousin Ray who is collecting Ma on Tuesday and taking her to Paignton for two days to see her brother, my Uncle Ernie, who also has vascular dementia and is in a home. In fact, Ernie, Ma and their older sister Anne all have dementia, as does their cousin Blodwyn.

H and I will enjoy a couple of girlie days of things like not getting dressed, Harry Potter/Love Actually/Pride and Prejudice on DVD, maybe the cinema and Nandos, maybe not. We aren't really girls who shop so no marathons in Primark thank goodness. There is likely to be ice cream, hiccoughy giggling and scurrilous gossip though ;)

1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a "like" button....can I come too?!

    ReplyDelete