My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Saturday 9 April 2011

Dilemma

I had to travel into Manchester today and collect my daughter from the station. Because I am a bit of a sad geeky type I like to go on the train which turns into a tram. I really didn't think Mum would enjoy it, it is a bit of a haul after all. So I left her at home. To be honest, I'm glad I did, Piccadilly was absolutely heaving - so much so that it even made me a bit panicky. It would've confused and distressed her far too much.

When dad was alive he did work for the CAB right up until his death (accountant) and would do the books etc. up on the landing where his computer is. Ma hated this and would complain like heck because she wanted him to sit with her and watch soaps. Something he loathed. This rambling aside is an attempt to explain her behaviour today.

When I got back this afternoon she was in floods of tears because she'd been on her own all afternoon and no one had come round to see her. Yes it's unreasonable to expect people to do this but on planet Ma this is how things are. I feel it is fair to point out that this isn't just the dementia, this is how she's always been. So I am rather in the doghouse for not arranging alternative entertainment. Then of course the lunch I'd left out for her wasn't eaten because she was sulking. She had a bag of crisps *sigh*

Luckily she does like my cooking and her current passion is for bacon, egg, mushrooms and fried bread. Three times since Wednesday and every time she says 'I do like a bit of bacon and egg and haven't had it in ages' :) So that's tea sorted because H quite fancies it too. I wanted coq au riesling so I'll make that for me and we can eat the leftovers tomorrow.

                                                                             ~

It will come as no surprise to learn that Ma is a staunch Royalist. The trailers now running for the wedding are causing great confusion and I fear by April 29th I may boycot the entire event due to extreme  irritation with every single broadcasting company for starting the build up ridiculously early. It's worse than waiting for the new series of Dr Who! Every day she asks what time it's all going to start.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a one pot dish very similar to Coq au Vin but using Riesling wine instead of red wine.

      Delete