My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 5 May 2011

Rollercoaster ride

Bit of a white knuckle ride today.

It started with the usual cup of tea but the not so usual naked body which was a bit of a shock when she threw the bedclothes back.  She'd got too hot in the night and removed her pj's. This is fine but I could do with a bit of warning!

We've arranged to see my fabulous Auntie Peg on Sunday (dad's cousin's widow) which cheered Ma up no end and we had a lovely chat about where we would go for lunch etc. Obviously this has thrown up the constant questioning about when we are going but that's ok, at least she's looking forward to it.

After lunch she suddenly went into a steep decline. I know this will sound a bit daft but I think it was because the lovely people next door weren't at the window to wave at her. There were lots and lots of tears and walking around stroking things (photo/pillow/wellingtons[?]) but things are slowly improving now. The thing I find hardest to take is the unfettered unkindness that appears at times like this, it's a hard thing to take without reacting.

She's refusing to eat but I'm afraid she's only having that glass of wine on the understanding that she has to have something! I'm not forcing her to eat a Tudor banquet, just some cheese and biscuits or a bit of soup - I do understand that her appetite is crap, especially after such a draining afternoon.

Footnote: I've bought a mattress topper. It is fab. However, the bed is fairly high to start with and now with another 15cm on top I feel a bit like the Princess and the Pea. Just as long as I don't fall off... 

2 comments:

  1. They say the elderly lose their eyesight, hearing and TASTE buds. So the only thing they really taste is sweet. At the nursing home, they give them sweets for afternoon snacks to make up for not eating the meals that to them taste like cardboard. I guess I understand that. I crave salt, but if I couldn't taste it, would I want to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma definitely went for the sweet stuff which took a bit of getting used to after she'd never shown any kind of sweet tooth all her life. It does seem to be the way things go.

      Delete