My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 22 May 2011

Sunday

Well, we were up quite early as I thought we would be but not unbearably so. The only downside was Ma sitting in her coat for quite a while waiting to leave for church, after she has also gone looking for money for the collection. So there she sat all buttoned up and clutching a 5p for about an hour.

Unfortunately she did have a fall in church this morning, but thankfully didn't hurt herself too badly. It happened on the way back from the altar because she no longer waits for me to finish taking communion before going off like a flash. As she becomes ever more unsteady on her feet I suppose it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. The jury is out on whether is was a trip over a rumpled carpet (her explanation) or her ricocheting off the radiator (what I saw). At least there was no need for stitches or hospitals this time - and plenty of people to help pick her up! Of course she says that something like this hasn't happened to her for years...

For a while after church she was in unkind mode and said some things which are best not repeated but did get to me a little. I know I have to learn to let it go but goodness me it is so difficult to do. She will have forgotten what she said by the end of the day and I guess I will have to learn how to do likewise.

I'm trying a different tack with the food issue this week and seeing if eating a 'main meal' at lunchtime and something light in the evening will suit her better. So as I write she's just eaten a modest amount of pie, chips and peas and is fast asleep in front of Colombo. Perhaps just some tinned fruit and bread and butter later.

                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I might treat myself to a pedicure this week. I'm useless at doing one myself but do love the results so think it is money well spent. Maybe even have my nails done too *gasp* #livingontheedge

Only other thing on the agenda is looking for self catering for two in France in early September. My biggest problem is deciding which bit of France...

2 comments:

  1. My Mom fell off a stool in her bathroom and had to have hip replacement surgery; never been the same since. I pray your mom's falls don't end like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did break both hips eventually Judy. But recovered from the surgery really well (at least physically, mentally is another story). I'm told that dementia sufferers often do recover well because they have no anticipation that things will hurt so just get on with it.

      Delete