My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 29 April 2012

Saturday into Sunday

As Friday's blog was a bit long I thought I'd update in a new one.

Yesterday was ok food wise and once again we had difficulty getting her to stand for transferring in and out of the wheelchair but during the afternoon she spent a lot of time standing up and then sitting down again. This morning she was halfway to standing then changed her mind and nearly dislocated my wrist as well as my hip when she sat down again without warning. In revenge I fed her two Weetabix laced with double cream. I'm such a bitch.

She dozed for most of the morning off and on and so far this afternoon we've had more standing up and a dogged determination to wipe her nose on a slipper. I've developed a strategy for the constant talking and asking me questions ('Are you going to the fray? Did you need are you? It's down there is it, the froo? 'Can you floll this after you now? have just been asked in the last minute while typing this), I usually answer with 'Yes, probably'. I really want to be able to tell her what she wants to know but it's impossible to work out what that is. There's no point in asking what she means, because she doesn't know herself.

Another change in behaviour recently is the rapid switch between being able to drink out of her cup one moment, then not, then able again. The not episodes need monitoring carefully because that's when entire cups of tea/Fresubin/Movicol end up down the side of the sofa.

Simon has taken to calling us Lou and Andy because he's convinced that the second I go into the kitchen to make a cup of tea Ma is free-running or roller blading down the avenue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty blips yesterday and today

No comments:

Post a Comment