My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Carols and mince pies at the Dementia Café

Believe it or not I had to wake Ma at 08:30 this morning! A lovely start to the day, I managed to have a nice cup of tea and a tootle on the internet for a couple of hours before she got up.

Once up Ma had some porridge for breakfast and by the time she was showered, dressed etc. it was time for Phil and Holly on This Morning. So a nice gentle morning which didn't descend into tears until about 12:00. Thankfully we were due out at 12:45 for a mince pie and some carol singing at the Dementia Café so it didn't go on for very long. To be honest I was surprised at how easy it was to get her out of the house but it soon became clear that this was because she thought she was off to see Mavis, when we sailed right past she wasn't quite so cheerful...

We arrived at the Dementia Café and her mood improved a bit then she saw Anne and David and was able to sit with them and suddenly everything was ok. She had a coffee and a mince pie (thanks for the plate Rachel - I'll bring the Dyson next time!) then the singers turned up. That was the first time that Ma decided we were leaving. At the end of each song she looked across at me and asked if we were going and a couple of times I had to persuade her to sit down again, but we made it to 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas!' in the end. As soon as it was over though she was up and putting her coat on.

On the way home we dropped off the Vicar's Bible (left behind after Communion yesterday) and detoured via Morrisons for milk and bread. As I was carrying in the shopping Ma took her coat off and went to hang it up. Next thing I knew she was on the floor having fallen into the cupboard. She's fine, nothing broken, and once we managed to get her up off the floor she's had a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits to settle her down.

Watching her talking to the Hairy Bikers and listening to the complete lack of any sensible conversation I'd say that it could be a 6 o'clock bedtime tonight after all the excitement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Singing carols (or not!)

1 comment:

  1. Such a good day Bee - I'm so pleased for you. I hope the night it equally as successful.

    ReplyDelete