My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Recurring themes

 A current obsession is 'I'm going now'. It goes like this:

Right are you ready?

Where are you going?

I'm not sure. Up the road and then along.

I need to do this first Ma.

Oh right well I'm going now. (picks up coat/blanket/cushion. Goes to front door and tries to open it several times)

This isn't working. (returns to living room, puts coat/blanket/cushion down)

** three minutes later **

Right... are you ready...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today we have had a recurring little boy. No idea who he is but she seems to like him. Read the following in any order and repeat at regular intervals:

Isn't he a lovely little boy?

I must find that boy some chocolate/a present.

Where did he go?

Hello??!? Are you upstairs??

He'll need this coat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She's still very restless and cannot settle for more than a minute or two. I dumped a pile of napkins in front of her to fold earlier (as someone suggested) but she just stirs them up a bit then walks away. The button box was even less successful. And Mavis and Vic can't keep her interest for much more than 15 minutes any longer without a real struggle.

She likes going out less and less - despite trying to open the front door every few minutes. It's odd actually. She is growing to really dislike going for a walk or into town but give her the opportunity to slope off in her socks without a coat and she'd be off in a flash.

I've taken the view that as long as she isn't distressed it's fine for her to keep rattling the door and pacing in and out, after all everything else I've tried to engage or distract her hasn't been terribly successful. And for the sake of my sanity I let her rattle on now and don't try to answer or make sense of everything she says. That way madness truly lies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This morning I discovered the futility of trying to get ahead and wrapping the Christmas presents early. More wrapping paper and selotape on the shopping list then.

Make that like living with a five foot tall, 81 year old toddler labrador puppy cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment