My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 22 December 2011

Last day at Grundy

Today was Ma's last day at the Grundy centre. She went off happily enough, even though we couldn't find the coat she was carrying around for most of yesterday, and returned grumpy and tearful as usual. Once again no sign of any sandwiches for her tea ('That's ok, I don't like them anyway') so I gave her some tinned pears and ice cream which she enjoyed. Her ex-cleaner, Emily, called round to say hello and that filled half an hour nicely.

I'ts 18:25 and she's just gone to bed. A bit sobby when we were putting on her pyjamas and I fully expect her to be up again in an hour or so, this is now the pattern. She is starting to sleep for only a couple of hours at a time at the most - sometimes far less. I know this is another common symptom of dementia and is possibly the one which will challenge my sanity the most.

H and I spent a lot of the day in town doing girly stuff - mainly buying some clothes and having lunch in Nando's. My mad magnet was working as usual and I managed to have three bizarre conversations with strangers, much to H's amusement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just found the sandwiches down the back of the sofa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19:22 The bedroom door opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment