My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Monday 12 December 2011

Mondays and migraines

Yesterday's difficulties didn't wane once bedtime arrived and Ma remained restless all night, calling, shouting and wandering all through until I 'got her up' at 7 this morning.

Throughout the morning she was weepy and aggressive so in the end I suggested a trip to Tesco for some veg and some lunch. She wasn't keen but I really wanted a change of scene and hoped that being in public would improve her mood. She did lighten up a little but was unable to find or fasten her seabelt (pulling at the buttons on her coat and nearly ripping off a pocket instead) or open/close the car door. In the shop she insisted on pushing the trolly but wouldn't stop for things to be put in it, so I spent most of the time grabbing things off the shelf and lobbing them at a moving target!! Lunch out was refused and her mood deteriorated once more.

Back home she didn't recognise the house for a long time and spent several hours calling for people and asking me every couple of minutes if we were going. Unfortunately I then started a migraine so its been a bit of a crappy afternoon. It's now 18:15, I'm slowly feeling a bit more human and we are having a cup of tea.

I haven't had to break out the latex gloves once today, for which I am eternally grateful, and I'm hoping for a better night tonight. We both need the sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Small sips of wine, sweetie - and low lights. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about some respite care before Christmas? Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete