My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Wednesday 17 August 2011

A ray of hope

My wonderful cousin David and his equally wonderful wife Glenys visited Ma yesterday afternoon. While they were there they spoke to the hospital social worker and told him in no uncertain terms how difficult it would be for me to care for Ma when she's only five days out of surgery. I am hopeful that they will now offer her intermediate care. I know it's only available for six weeks but to be honest even a couple of weeks would be incredibly helpful, I'd hope by then that she would be able to get on and off the bed and loo for example. As they pointed out, before Ma fell her mobility was far better than mine!

David was shocked at how much Ma has deteriorated since she stayed with them last weekend. I struggled to follow her conversation too when I went in the evening, she was all over the place. One moment she was telling me she hadn't been out of bed, the next saying that they'd had her scrubbing floors and washing up...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(to Elsie's husband) Hello! Did you bring them?

*he looks confused

You know! The things. The sticks. What do you call them?? Cigarettes!! Did you bring me some cigarettes?

But you don't smoke!

Ooh but I could do with a bloody fag.

1 comment:

  1. Crutches, presumably. Oh, dear, don't be tempted to have a quick puff, Bee. Sigh. :) x

    ReplyDelete