My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Monday 18 July 2011

Monday Monday

Set off from Cheltenham this morning (via Devon from Cornwall yesterday) and collected Ma from Bryan and Lily who have given her a fabulous weekend and looked after her so well. I can't tell you how grateful I am to them for making it possible for me to run away to Cornwall and have a weekend celebrating four significant birthdays - it turns out it was 1 x 30, 1 x 40 and 2 x 50. Fantastic weekend. A bit tired now....

You will hear me moan about my joints because of the weekend and all the driving for several days to come - just ignore me, all self-inflicted.

It's Ma's birthday today. 81 years young and it has been ok, I expected a lot of tears but that hasn't happened. She did shock me slightly by asking for a kebab for tea though! It appears that Peter bought a chicken kebab (not the scary elephant's leg stuff, the chunks of meat on a skewer thing) for her last Thursday and she liked it so much she asked for another one... too funny. Seriously.

Had my lovely ex SIL here for a few hours this afternoon and she is great with Ma. When Ma walked out of the bedroom wearing a jacket on inside out which had the biggest shoulder pads you've ever seen, Jane took Ma to look in the mirror and asked her if she was planning on taking off... am still giggling about that.

Ma is now in bed but we just shared a phone call from Glen to say that we have a new baby in the family - Piper Grace, sister to Orla Hope. Beautiful names for beautiful girls.

Tomorrow might be a fallout day, we'll see. But it is usual for Ma to be on a downer after so much excitement. I have a meeting with the Dementia Cafe people about their cook book and I've made nanaimo bars to try and convince them that I'm legit.

2 comments:

  1. Bee =legit???

    I can hardly get to bed for laughing.

    You are way too much of a one off to be legit, sweetie.

    But I am sure they will love you anyway. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete