My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Tuesday 11 October 2011

The Carer's Commandments (1)

Do not become ill.

I have joint problems and live with pain all the time but I can honestly say that the pain from a kidney infection is up there. The antibiotics haven't kicked in yet so I do feel quite terrible and Ma hates to be left alone now so going for a lie down earlier was a bit of a waste of time.

Rachel has just been and left me a stack of cook books which I will post out in due course. It was lovely to see her and as we say up North, we had a right good natter. Ma went to bed halfway through, she is less and less able to cope with a lot of conversation.

There may or may not be a further update later depending on how I feel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now 10:25 and she's been out of bed four times already. At the moment she is ranting and crying. I am at my wits end. I feel so poorly and desperately need to sleep. God almightly I hope this doesn't carry on all night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I last heard her walking around at 3am, but had spoken to her several times. The final time was at about 1:20am. I led her back to bed, removed her coat and shoes...


Don't yank my shoes off like that!

*in distress* Why aren't people here?

Because it's the middle of the night and people sleep at this time

I've never heard of that before! You are just nasty nasty nasty nasty. If your father knew how you treated me....

Repeat and fade.


It's now 7:15 and I've just taken in a cup of tea and her medicine.

Good morning darling, how are you? (back in coat and shoes, also full set of clothes on backwards over pyjamas)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's fascinating, too! Sounds like quite a lot of people do. Must admit I clicked on the photo of your mum and dad. I think it's subconsciously wanting to relate to normality, i.e. the person that was and is relatable to, rather than someone/something we don’t understand therefore can’t relate to. Your blog goes a long way to helping people understand.

    Get well soon, Bee. Look after you, if you can. Kidney infections are terribly painful. Make sure to take the whole course of antibiotics!
    xx

    ReplyDelete