My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Much Improved (for a while)

A far better day today although there were tears first thing. I told her we didn't have time for tears today and it seemed to work!

First thing I wanted to make some pickled courgettes (last lot - red cabbage - tomorrow) but needed some mustard seeds so scooped her off in the car to Tesco. We were only out for about 20 minutes but it did seem to perk her up a bit. Then I made the pickled courgettes and some snowflake biscuits for the dementia cafe. Annoyed I used a Nigella recipe though - I swear any sweet baking recipe of hers is always a cock-up. This time I need to add more flour to make a pliable dough instead of something resembling cake batter. And when I say more flour, it was very nearly twice as much as the recipe stated. However, the biscuits were very pretty, especially after I sprinkled them with edible glitter.

All that done we set off after a ham and cheese toastie for the dementia cafe. Ma had a great time chatting away, the biscuits were eaten and I got an invite to a girls' chilli night. Then off to the hairdressers where Ma was transformed and looks so much better.

Back at home she requested chips for tea, which I have duly made and while I was in the kitchen I had to make a couple of phone calls.

Ma now sitting opposite from me refusing to eat her chips, hand over her eyes, dry sobbing because she thinks I was talking about her on the phone (in fact I was talking to Tesco online about the food delivery for the children which is due this evening) and because she 'doesn't know where anyone is' ie she hasn't had any visitors. Any second now she will tell me she's going to bed.

It's a shame because we've had a lovely day compared to yesterday.

Courgette pickle

Snowflakes

1 comment: