My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Well it seemed like a good start...

For the first time ever since I've been here my alarm woke me this morning. Cue minor panic as I thrashed my way out of the bedclothes and stumbled downstairs. Ma's bedroom door was still closed and there wasn't a sound so I went and made some tea before going in.

Just before I opened the door I could hear her talking so I knew she was awake, but didn't really expect to see her lying on the floor with her head cushioned on a rolled up carpet. Cue second panic of the morning, this time not so minor.

What are you doing on the floor??!? Did you fall out of bed? Fall over in the night?? Are you hurt?

Oh no don't worry. All these people *gestures* told me to lie down here with them.

Oh good. Thank you everyone. Getting her off the floor was a hell of a challenge because she makes absolutely no attempt to get herself up. I did consider calling for an ambulance but finally managed to get her up by sliding her along the floor until her feet were up against the skirtingboard then using the wall as a fulcrum. (that probably isn't the correct terminology but you get the idea...)

She decided she wanted to get back into bed (not surprised after lying on the parquet floor for goodness knows how long) and I thought we could leave on the two pairs of trousers, skirt, upside down fleece and chiffon scarf until later. I took her toast and tea with her tablets and she dozed until nearly 11am.

The rest of the day has been relatively quiet other than Ma's continual chatter which does, at times, drive me to the brink of insanity.

Other than that Barry tells me the paperwork for the new day centre has not been submitted yet so it looks like the battle to get her on the bus will continue at least until Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I am completely LIVID on your behalf re Barry. Seethes quietly. I do hope you will be fierce when you have your home visit. E xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! "finally managed to get her up by sliding her along the floor until her feet were up against the skirtingboard then using the wall as a fulcrum". Haw, haw. So sorry, Bee, but the visual image... Good job it is a parquet floor! Good luck, sweetie. :)

    ReplyDelete