My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 10 November 2011

Oh boy...

Was I in trouble this morning! I had the temerity to sleep all night and not get up until 7am. However, I was awake from 5 and she didn't start calling me until 7 so I'm not sure why I was so in the dog house. It was as if she'd got up in exactly the same mood as when she went to bed.

The upshot of this was that she was out of one of the patio doors as quick as a flash and had the gates not been there (and padlocked) she would have been off. As it was she stood at the bottom hedge calling for the neighbours, telling me not to come anywhere near her and generally being quite a handful. I eventually managed to get her back inside out of the rain and talked her round bit by bit so that by 10 o'clock she was waiting at the door for the bus to arrive, telling me she was 'really looking forward to it'. Roller coaster.

She got back at 5 after a 'horrible day - I hate that place', has eaten a poached egg on toast, a chocolate mini roll and is in bed after a bit of a meltdown over getting undressed and into pyjamas. I think she's very tired because she was talking absolute nonsense and was clearly on target for another huge mood swing. I hope she stays asleep because Betty is coming to Ma sit and I am going out. I haven't been out after dark here for 7 months!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did have a bit of a lightbulb moment talking to Glenys earlier - it's likely that the sodium valproate is causing her moods to worsen before beginning to level them out. It is mentioned as one of the side effects on the leaflet (which I neglected to read until this morning) so there's light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that the mood swings do turn out to be side effects - does it say how long they are liable to last?
    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete