My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Monday 12 September 2011

Another new week

I woke up at around six but clung to my mattress for as long as I could before getting up and dressed just before the alarm went off at seven. About two minutes before the alarm I heard the zimmer frame clattering into life. So was downstairs within a minute of Ma getting up. It is currently 08:04 and she has yet to speak to me, other than accusing me of twisting her arm when I helped her put her dressing gown on. She is lying on her bed with her eyes closed refusing to look at or speak to me. I have no idea what I've done, but it doesn't bode well for the rest of the day. I suspect offering breakfast might result in the loss of a digit or two.

I think I'll go and take it out on a kilo of carrots and make a cake.

Updates throughout the day, if you're interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrot cake cooling, waiting for icing. It's a bit thinner than usual because it's a bigger tin than I have at home. I did increase the quantity by half again but probably need to double it. It's standing next to my pint mug which gives you an idea of how big it is :)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruth from next door arrived at about 11am and of course Ma was delighted to see her and extremely sociable. After Ruth left she did start talking to me but very soon after lunch, from about 1.30 onwards, I had to keep telling her it wasn't bed time yet.

Theresa came at 6 to help Ma to bed and I gave her a load of carrot cake for the girls because this will be the last week I get any help and they've been so wonderful. Ma is now tucked up and I really hope she stays there, I feel so very tired at the moment - the bags under my eyes are horrendous! Did I read somewhere that used tea bags are good for this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are on the build-up to Friday. I've done a fair bit of laundry and ironing today but I'm not making a big fuss about packing a suitcase (for either of us), just quietly stacking things in the spare room. Reiterating the positive aspects of her stay seems to be working well although telling her how long she will be there doesn't really go in. She has little if any concept of time - be it minutes, hours, days or longer. I just hope and pray that I don't have to deal with any serious fallout against me if she really hates it. I suppose I can find someone to blame if she does!

2 comments:

  1. Can I have a piece please, just so that I can check that it's as good as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! 10,000 views. Amazing.

    Sorry Chris - it's all been spoken for :)

    ReplyDelete